2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!
It's that time of year. Where we all make resolutions of things we are going to do better, more of, fix, or just do period. The best thing you can do for yourself this year, is to get healthy. After all, God gave us these bodies so we could go out and accomplish His work, and if we don't have this machine ready to go and in good working order, we can't effectively complete our mission.
Wellness is not just absence from disease. It is an active process through which we all make choices toward more successful and healthy lives.
Here are a few ways to get your wellness and health on track. This is not a list to get skinny, this is a list to get healthy. Weight loss comes as a benefit of wellness and a side effect. We, as women, should not strive for being skinny, we should strive for wellness. We need to stop comparing our size to everyone else's and focus on what is important and that is our total body wellness.
1. Have a relationship with Christ. If you are eating healthy, working out, and you have no relationship with the God who created you, you can not have total wellness. Jesus Christ is the only way to achieve total wellness.
We are marvelously designed by God. He made us in a way that all our body systems work together in unimaginable and intricate ways. Our soul, spirit, mind and body are all connected and work together perfectly according to His design. Because we are designed by God, when we live according to His principles as outlined in the Bible, our life will be more full and we are more likely to experience a life of peace, joy and hope. This will create an environment that favors good health. http://www.faithandhealthconnection.org/
2. Eat 6 Small Meals per Day
3. Eat every 2-3 hours
5. Drink 2-3 Liters of Water each Day.
6. Depend on lots of Fresh Fruits And Veggies for complex carbs and fiber. Chad and I recently got a high powered Ninja and drink our fruits and veggies every morning. We put the apple with the stem and seeds in, peelings on certain things..that's where the nutrients are! A plant based diet will decrease your cholesterol, heart disease, inflammation and is a cure for many ailments. I am sure you have seen my recent pinterest board of vegan and vegetarian. We are just trying to cut back on meats and eat more vegetarian meals for the purposes of Chad's cholesterol.
7. Limit grains (especially wheat) but eat a small amount healthy grains, not refined, over processed, full of chemical foods. Healthy grains include quinoa, steel cut oats, brown and wild rice, spelt and kamut, Grains are the most genetically modified plants and have decreased nutritional value with wheat being the worst..that's whole wheat included. Soy beans are also on the high list of genetically modified plants.
8. Stop eating Sugar. Check the labels on everything! Sugar in everything especially boxed up processed foods. Sugar causes inflammation and weight gain and leads to a huge pyramid of health issues. Stick to healthy alternatives in small amounts like honey, stevia, and birch sugar.
9. Eat Fats to Get Lean...From healthy fat sources Your body needs omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids to live. Feed your body healthy fats!
10. Never skip a meal...ESPECIALLY BREAKFAST! This is a great time to whip up a green smoothie and drink it in a hurry and get those veggies in! I know you are thinking, "oh yuck" but let me tell you, those smoothies are yummy and the greens don't taste like anything if you fix them right!
11. Stick to reasonable portion size. Just because it's healthy food doesn't mean you can eat all you want. I suggest tracking calories even on healthy foods. I like the livestrong or the fitness pal apps.
12. Get Adequate Sleep. Your body needs time to rest and repair itself.
13. Exercise. To be healthy and achieve wellness for the whole body you have to do cardio and strength training to increase muscle and bone mass. If you are over 30 and you aren't making muscle, you are losing muscle!
14. See a good doctor. I had to do a lot of research to find a healthy doctor. That is a funny sentence, I know. But it is true. If you go to a doctor that throws you a Rx every time you walk through the door, I urge you to find another one. I am a nurse and I know all about Rx medicines and I do believe they are necessary and needed in certain conditions. That is why God let us discover them. The problem lies in that fact that drug companies and insurance companies work together with the doctors and medications are over prescribed and cause more health issues than they help. I had patients at the hospital come in with two Wal-Mart bags full of Rxs that they take everyday. I just wanted to say "Stop and look at this and you might find where you problem is coming from..like this bag!" There are lots of great doctors out there who will help your body heal itself with diet, exercise, and plant based supplements. Your body has all it needs to heal itself, if you know what you need to do it.
15. Know you numbers. Find that good doctor and they will draw some lab values that you need to know. Cholesterol, blood sugar, hormone, thyroid, and vitamin levels are all lab values you need to know. The other important number is your blood pressure. These are all a gage of how "well" your body is doing.
I challenge you to follow these rules and see what happens to you. If you don't know where to start. This is it! Let's go in to the new year with a new outlook on health and wellness!