cute blog background

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Healthy Cookie Cake..made fresh today

I have made several of these and have the recipe on here under recipes.  I made this one today for Lindsey and thought I would show you how easy this is, step by step.  Once you eat  this healthy version, you will never buy the junk ones again! 


Here is the recipe and the steps are below.  Lindsey doesn't like chocolate icing, so hers is with the buttercream only.
Chocolate Chip Cake
2 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup sucanat sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar (it has to go in there or it doesn't cook right)
2 sticks of organic butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 large organic free range eggs
1 pkg of organic semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375. Combine sugar, butter, and eggs in a mixer and mix until creamy. Add flour, baking soda, vanilla, and salt and mix. Stir in chocolate chips. Spray a 9x19 inch pan with eat clean cooking spray. I like the pampered chef bar pan. Spread mixture in pan and bake about 20 min or until golden brown. Be careful not to over bake.

I let mine cool completely and decorate with icing of my choice. I sometimes will by store bought and pipe it on there. I have also made my own and colored it myself...this is the unhealthiest portion of the cake. Remember sugar is a treat so it needs to be limited.

Healthier Icing:
The deal with buttercream is that sugar is brown and the frosting is a brown color..so just to warn you :)
Buttercream
16 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup organic butter
1/2 cup sucanat sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Keep in the fridge.


Chocolate Frosting
2 Tbs of organic cocoa powder
1 Tbs coconut oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup organic butter
5Tbs organic milk
2/3 cup sucanat sugar
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Keep in the fridge.

Ok..I grind my own flour.  Don't flip out and not look because that sounds scary.  Just buy your own whole wheat already ground.  I just like to get the most nutrition and benefits out of my grains.

Soft white works best for cakes and cookies



There it is, pour it in, take off the lid, it comes out as whole wheat flour.


Mix the butter,eggs, vanilla, and sucanat and brown sugar

Add fresh flour,baking soda, and sea salt

Stir in chocolate chips

Spread on a 9x13 inch bar pan..I lined this with parchment paper so that I could take it out for Lindsey.
Baked about 17 min in my oven, brown at edges, but soft in middle
Let it cool completely before decorating.

I made the buttercream frosting..so easy..and I colored the icing with gel colors.
I piped it on with the pampered chef icing piper..no I don't work for pampered chef..they just have great long lasting
bakeware! :)

Here are some more that I have done below


No comments:

Post a Comment